John Jones, (died December 1881 in his 78th year). Apothecary, Y Ceffyl Gwyn, 1, Commercial Place, Aberdare. (But also mentioned in connection with 2 and 3 Commercial Place.) His business was founded in 1826 and continued until the 1970s. Prior to that he was the local postmaster. Clerk to the parish vestry (ca. 1840). Treasurer Aberdare Reading Society, 1847/1848. Treasurer and later Chairman of the committee of the Aberdare British School (Park Schools). A member of the first Board of Health (1854), and clerk to the North Glamorgan Road Board. Chairman, Aberdare Water Works. A keen angler.