Home
About
Membership
Publications
Lectures
Links
Historical Notes
Hanes
Cymraeg

Presidents

WELCOME TO OUR WEBSITE

THE 2021–22 LECTURE PROGRAMME
IS CURRENTLY IN PLACE UNTIL JANUARY.
WE SHALL USE BOTH THE ZOOM PLATFORM AND MEET TOGETHER
IN THE TRADITIONAL WAY.
See the lectures page for details. Additional talks to be added soon.


The Cynon Valley History Society was founded in Aberdare in 1971. Our objectives are to promote, encourage and maintain an active interest in the history of the district in all its aspects; to arrange talks and lectures; to undertake original research and assist in the collection of local material such as manuscripts, books, artefacts and photographs, and to publish titles on local history.

The Society presents a programme of 10 lectures each season and publishes a quarterly newsletter HANES (The Welsh word for History).

Please click on the links above to find out more about us, our publications and programme of lectures.

NOTICES

Old Aberdare XI

1 Our latest Publication
The Society has just published its most recent book entitled Old Aberdare Volume XI. Our 50th anniversary edition.

The topics included:
The Little Theatre: a century of drama.
The Poet Alun Lewis’ background at Cwmaman.
Reuben Silverman, Aberdare Leader Cartoonist.
Dr. Alistair Wilson: The way it used to be in Aberdare.
Aberdare’s Town Plan, 1957–1963.
John Ewington, trade union pioneer and the TVR Dispute.

Please contact Haydn Williams if you would like to make a purchase. Telephone 01685 879793 or email on
haydn
Old Aberdare XI is also available at the Cynon Valley Museum — open Tuesdays to Saturdays inclusive, 10am to 3pm.

2 A Recent Publication A History of the Aberdare Valley Ironworks by Steven Graham and the late Ken Collins. Further details can be found on our publications page.

3 Cynon Valley Museum
The latest news of the museum can be found on their Facebook page:
https://en-gb.facebook.com/cynonvalleymuseum/
 

St Johns
Hanes
 
Commercial Place

Commercial Place, Aberdare


 
small tithe map

Aberdare village according to the
Tithe map of 1847